Friday, July 3, 2009

Frock

The frock is back with a bang. It’s making a statement everywhere you go.

“Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,” says my friend V, “Don’t call it frock. It’s the dress da.” Whatever. On the people I see it, I am tempted to call it the frock. The frock it shall be. Somehow, wearing something just for the sake of being ‘in’ never works.

Like L, who practically thinks she is the Lolita of the social set. She is never dressed the same every time she is seen out. In fact, it’s a known and recorded fact(recorded because she is photographed every time she’s seen out), that she never repeats her clothes or for that matter her hairstyle. L, prides herself on wearing something new, ‘never seen’, every time. (I shudder when I think of her wardrobe space; or does she throw out, pass on every outfit when it’s worn once? Curious and curiousier… but I digress…)

Back to L, despite the fact that she IS dressed differently… er… she looks the same. Interesting na?

I am saying all this to my good pal V, who looks at me outta the corner of her eye and steps on the pedal of her SUV. She laughs out aloud and says, “Witch.” Which of course is a cover-up for the other one.

I am used to V, I ignore her ‘goody’ comment and register only the mischievous laugh. She has registered the point about L, but somehow it goes against her grain to laugh at poor L. I am not laughing, I reassure her, nor am I being… er… Witchy. I am just observing, I tell her gently. She laughs again. V is always, neither here nor there.

So I change the subject and go back to starting point. Frocks, I tell her, will not work on every Indian woman’s body. We come in such interesting shapes, sometimes, some shapes are best concealed, not necessarily by a sari, but perhaps by jeans or salwars. I am not being prudish, I insist, but aesthetics, now that is important, at least for the eye of the beholder.

V giggles and says, “But believe me, many of them look good in them da.”

Never mind, I tell her, this conversation is not getting anywhere. Instead, I will blog on frocks.

PS: Never mind my opinion, this blog is for V :), the one on the fence always!

3 comments:

  1. hastily making a note to wear a lycra churidar under the frock...errmm...dress, i just picked up, and pretend it was always meant to be an indo/western look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandhya, your profile pic is lovely....sure it will look great with a frock too :). I guess more than anything else, one has to dress to please oneself, never mind if it displeases others lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precisely, Pedatha... The reverse is true as well.
    Everyone should wear what they want to and do what they themselves want to do... and not merely do something because others are doing it! :)

    ReplyDelete